All source code (and related files, such as images and auto-gen scripts) can be downloaded from GitLab. If you can’t (or don’t want to) download anything, I usually have a recent version available on my website.
A few years ago (probably sometime around 2007), I used to test my knowledge of Japanese verb/adjective conjugation rules by selecting words at random, writing down how I thought they should be conjugated on a piece of paper, and comparing what I’d written with the examples from about.com:
I’ve since added separate pages for other aspects of the language, such a nouns (when I realised that I didn’t actually know many words, and needed to memorize some) and kanji (as another way to force myself to memorize more than I already knew).
The one exception is the kana page, which was inspired by the sadly now-defunct KanjiSITE hiragana/katakana pages. I found the KanjiSITE to be really useful when I first decided to learn about the Japanese language way back in 2003, so hopefully the information on the kana page will be similarly useful to someone.
The only “external” resource dependency is an optional line in
which attempts to load the Noto Sans font from Google Fonts, to ensure that CJK
characters can be displayed correctly; this isn’t mandatory and can be removed.
Pages should work correctly on just about any modern browser. Personally, I use Firefox and Chrome on my development machine and Chrome for Android on tablets. Phone-sized devices should work correctly but aren’t officially supported due to their rather small screen size (and because entering text is rather fiddly).
update_layout.pyreplaces the boilerplate HTML in all pages with the layout defined by
_layout.html. It has been tested with Python 2.7 and Python 3.4.
update_everything.shconverts the contents of
readme.mdinto HTML (tested using discount 2.1) and then runs
update_layout.pyto add the “layout” HTML to it (along with every other HTML file).
with the helper scripts, these are “support” files, so aren’t necessary for the
pages themselves to function.
The current version of the codebase is very much a work in progress; issues not yet addressed are outlined below:
It would also be nice to include the following bits somewhere:
Copyright © 2015-2017 Thomas Glyn Dennis
Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy of this software and associated documentation files (the “Software”), to deal in the Software without restriction, including without limitation the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:
The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in all copies or substantial portions of the Software.
THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED “AS IS”, WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE.
I originally made this for myself as an automated self-testing excercise, so it
is possible that I’ve made some silly mistakes. If you come across any, send me